If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm sure we all have a variation of smashed potatoes...my go to is one where I boil redskin potatoes, drain, add butter, salt and pepper and then smash them up a bit and stir in green onion, parsley or chives. Here's a Cajun version...a little spicy and great alongside a steak or other grilled meat. I've included a recipe for Cajun seasoning in case you don't have a favorite... —inpatskitchen
Makes 4 servings
For the potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds small redskin potatoes ( larger babies )
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 more teaspoons of your favorite Cajun seasoning (or use mine which follows)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions plus a little more for garnish
- Take your potatoes and peel a strip around the circumference of each one and place them in a 4 quart pot. Add water to just barely cover them and then stir in the wine, garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of the Cajun seasoning and the cayenne pepper.
- Bring up to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potatoes and return them along with the garlic to the pot.
- Start mashing the potatoes with a potato masher or large fork. Just a few mashes and then add the butter, 2 teaspoons of the Cajun seasoning and the quarter cup of green onions. Mash a few more times until you get a creamy but somewhat chunky consistency. Place in a serving bowl and garnish with a little more green onion.
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Combine all the ingredients and store in a covered container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0