If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kids. Their food preferences are unpredictable. I could try to explain that #2 son is cheese-phobic, but I'd rather share my recipe for this no-milk, no-cheese main dish. My family finds it "more-ish": have a serving, and all you want is more.
The inspiration came from a very cheesy gratin in William-Sonoma's "Complete Seasonal Cookbook." —Windischgirl
3 1/2-4 1/2
cups Chicken broth, divided, heated; homemade is nice!
tablespoons Vegetable oil
tablespoons All-purpose flour
tablespoons Dijon mustard
tablespoon Fresh thyme, or 2 tsp dried
tablespoon Fresh parsley, minced
tablespoon Fresh chives, minced
Lemon juice to taste
- In a medium sized heavy saucepan, heat the oil. Stir in the flour to make a roux paste. Turn down the heat and continue stirring for 2 minutes; do not brown. Gradually whisk in 3 1/2 cups of the heated broth, turn up the heat, and simmer for 5 min, or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in the mustard, then add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavors. Cover and set aside.
pound Ham, in a chunk; low-sodium preferred
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Cut the ham into 1/4 inch dice. Scrub the potatoes well and cut them into 1/4 inch rounds. Layer a fourth of the potatoes in the baking pan and scatter 1/4 of the ham on top. Repeat, alternating layers.
- Gently pour the thickened broth over the potatoes. Shake the pan to distribute the broth evenly. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Test for doneness, add a bit more hot broth if it seems dry, then remove foil and continue to bake until the potatoes are browned and test done, about another 30-45 minutes.
- Serve hot...although leftovers reheat well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0