If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3- to 4-inch piece of cassia bark
- 10 to 15 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 5 to 6 long, mild Kashmiri chiles, dried
- 20 to 30 small curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- Toast the first 7 spices, one at a time, in a hot, heavy pan until fragrant. This can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute per spice. Place each in the same bowl and let them cool completely.
- To toast curry leaves, place in the same hot pan. Shake the pan to crisp up and toast the leaves, about 1 minute. When they are fragrant, brown around the edges, and crumbly, remove them from the pan and let cool in the bowl.
- Place the toasted spices, curry leaves, and ground turmeric in a spice grinder or powerful blender and grind to a fine powder. Sieve if necessary.
- To store, place it in an airtight tin in a cool, dark place. It should keep for at least 6 months, though the fresher the better.