If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We are loving everything and all things apple lately. And who better than Jenna Huntsberger — the mastermind behind Whisked! bakery — to inspire a bit of baked apple amazingness? Let's get baking! —CAVA
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 pounds baking apples (about 6 apples)
- 1/2 pound blackberries (fresh is ideal, but frozen works too)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For the topping, whisk together flour, oats, salt, brown sugar, spices, and baking powder. With your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture, pinching the butter into smaller and smaller pieces until they are pea-sized.
- For the fruit, peel, core, and thinly slice apples into ¼ inch slices. Place apple slices in a medium bowl and mix in the blackberries (the easiest way to do this is with your hands).
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cornstarch. Toss sugar mixture with the fruit, then mix in the lemon juice. Scrape the fruit into a buttered 8x8-inch baking pan and pat into an even layer.
- To assemble and bake the crisp, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat the crumble mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping turns a deep golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!