If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We receive A LOT of requests for one pot meal recipes in our family — especially in the breezy, Winter season. With time being a limiting factor for most of our readers, we understand that throwing everything together is really the way to go. Less thinking = more resting. We get it! —wakethewolves
- 2 large onions, in 1” cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups celery, roughly chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash, in 1” cubes (or potatoes work too)
- 6 cups cabbage (or kale or chard work great too)
- 3 cups tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ cups parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 pinches of chili pepper flakes
- 2 pounds london broil (or roast, pork loin, whole chicken, or more)
- Layer the bottom of your slow cooker with ¾ of your aromatics (celery, onion, and garlic). Add ¾ of your starchy vegetable (butternut squash). Add ¼ of your leafy (and supporting) vegetables (tomato, cabbage, and parsley). The slow cooker should be about ¾ full.
- Place the 2 pounds of meat on the bed of vegetables. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon thyme, and a pinch of chili flakes on top of the meat.
- Layer the remaining celery, onion, garlic, squash, tomatoes, and cabbage around the meat and on top of the meat, smashing it down gently. You most likely will have extra cabbage that you can add towards the end of the cook time.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon thyme, and a pinch of chili flakes on top of the vegetables.
- Pour 1 & 1/4 cup of water over everything. Cover and turn on to a medium setting (~6 hours).
- One hour before serving, remove the meat, shred it and re-add it along with any remaining cabbage.