If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have had macaroons on my mind, what with Addie's SUPER cute video, and Alice Medrich's genius ones, but I wanted to put my own twist on them which, as per usual, led me to the flavors of Mexico. I decided to use cajeta in place of sweetened condensed milk. Does your store carry Nestle Dulche De Leche? If not, start a campaign to get them to stock it. Meanwhile, plan ahead and make your own: https://food52.com/blog/10049-all-about-dulce-de-leche-and-how-to-make-it. Then make these addictive little fellas. —aargersi
Serves 46 (ish)
- 1 - 14 ounces package sweetened flake coconut (or for a less sweet treat, use some unsweetened in there)
- 1 - 14 ounces can cajeta (dulce de leche)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (preferably Mexican)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt (generous)
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 3 or 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- flake salt
- Heat the oven to 325 and line two baking sheets with parchment. Mix the coconut, cajeta, vanilla, almond extract and salt together. Beat the egg whites until peaks form, then fold them into the macaroons 1/3 at a time. This is a stiff batter - it's OK just get them in there as best you can.
- Drop the macaroons by the tablespoon onto the baking sheets. Bake them for 25 minutes, switching and rotating the sheets half way through, until they brown up on the bottom and edges. Allow them to cool on the parchment a bit before moving them to a cooling rack. I did this in two batches.
- Melt the chocolate, cinnamon, cayenne and cream over low heat. Add enough cream to just make it smooth and dippable (is that a word?). Dip each macaroon halfway into the chocolate, then give each a few flakes of salt while it's still warm (so that the salt will stick) Line 'em up and eat 'em.
- You may have leftover chocolate. Whisk it into warm milk and drink it!!!
More Great Recipes: