Author Notes: Brudet is a simple Croatian fish stew, very popular in Dalmatia as well as in other regions. —anka
pounds mixed fish and seafood (White firm fish, baby scallops, clams, shrimps, mussels, calamari)
tablespoons olive oil
can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
garlic cloves, minced
tablespoon fresh basil
cup dry white wine
tablespoon fresh parsley, more to sprinkle on the end
pinches saffron threads (15-20 treads)
- Clean and wash the fish and seafood. white fish should be cut into a one-inch piece.
- Heat olive oil, add garlic, basil, parsley and saffron. Cook for 30 seconds, (saffron is not traditional)
- When you can smell the garlic, add wine and let cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Let cook for 10 min.
- At this point, you can stop if you are making for later or next day.
- In boiling tomato stew add fish and shrimps first, cover.
- Let cook 3-4 min, do not stir just shake the pot.
- Add calamari, baby scallops, clams and mussels (I had clams and mussels precooked, or you will start Brudet with clams first), cover
- Let cook everything for next 2-3 minutes from time when start boiling again.
- Take from stove and sprinkle with parsley.
- Traditionally is serve with polenta or nice rustic bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pan Dinner