If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple and delicious soup recipe with 13 bean soup-mix that's hearty, healthy, filling to warm you up in the winter. Homemade chili paste adds an exceptionally rich flavor and fragrance to this wholesome soup. Best thing about the recipe, it works with all kinds of bean-combo and goes without saying, beans are very healthy too! (high in fiber, rich in protein, low in fat and contains no cholesterol). —Sasikala Balaraman
Homemade Chili Paste
- 50 grams Indian Dry Red Chillies
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Heat 1 cup of water and bring it to a rolling boil. Soak dry red chillies in hot water for about an hour.
- Drain chillies out of the water and grind into a fine paste. Use 1/8 cup of water at a time as needed.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add chilli paste and saute for 10-15 mins on medium heat.
13 Bean-Mix Soup
- 1 cup 13 Bean Soup-mix
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Jalapeños
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Paste (as prepared above)
- 1.5 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 8 Small tomatoes, Campari type
- 1/8 cup Chopped Cilantro
- 4 teaspoons Lime Juice
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak bean-mix overnight (or) 6-8 hrs in cold water. After 6-8 hrs of soaking, rinse the beans 2-3 times and drain. Pressure cook in 2 cups of water for 2 whistles.
- Roast jalapeños directly over flame until blackened. Roll it loosely in a kitchen towel and set it aside for 5 mins. After 5 mins, the outer layer should come off easily. Peel & chop jalapeños finely.
- In a sauce pan, heat olive oil. When hot, add minced garlic, chopped jalapeños and sauté briefly. To this, add chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Next, add cumin powder, tomato paste, chili paste and give a brief stir. Add chopped tomatoes and wait for it to soften. To this, add 2 cups of veg broth and let it come to a boil.
- Add cooked beans (along with cooked water), salt and let it simmer on low-medium heat for 10-15 mins. Mix chopped cilantro, lime juice and serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans