If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eat beans at least twice a week. By applying this rule, you are one step closer to the ancient Greeks! Legumes are very popular in Greece. It is the food of the poor and the main source of protein during long fasting periods. Like most ‘ladera’ dishes, baked Greek giant beans are best served at room temperature with feta cheese & bread.
- 1 pound giant lima beans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 onions, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1.5 pounds whole tomatoes (peeled & sliced) or 1 can of tomato pure
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch paprika
- Soak the beans in water and baking soda, the night before
- The next day, rinse and strain the beans and boil them for about 40mins
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In the meantime, heat half a cup of the olive oil in a deep pan and sauté the onions, garlic & celery
- Add the sugar, the tomatoes, the parsley, salt, pepper and paprika
- Let this mixture boil for 10 minutes
- Strain the beans as soon as they are soft and place them in a roasting pan; add the vegetables mixture, the remaining olive oil and one cup of water
- Bake for 45 minutes at 400F
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
More Great Recipes: Entrees