If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
For the empanada dough
- 170 grams all-purpose flour (1¼ cup)
- 20 grams corn flour/corn starch (1½ tbsp)
- 100 grams soft butter (1 stick minus 1 tbsp)
- 50 grams icing/confectioner’s sugar (1/3 cup)
- 40 grams ground hazelnuts (1/3 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
For the frangipane
- 120 grams Nutella (½ cup)
- 50 grams butter (½ stick)
- 120 grams ground hazelnuts (1¼ cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Prepare the empanada dough: in a bowl, sift the flour and corn flour. In a separate bowl, sift the sugar and hazelnuts. Using your hands or in a food processor, rub the flour and butter together until you get a sand-like texture. Combine with the sugar and hazelnuts. Once incorporated, crack the egg and mix until the dough comes together. Tip the dough onto a piece of Clingfilm, shape into a flat disk, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the frangipane filling: in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and Nutella together, stirring often so the Nutella doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. In a bowl, beat the eggs, then fold in the ground hazelnuts. Add to the Nutella mixture, stir well to combine and set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and allow it to soften for a few minutes.
- Put the dough between two pieces of baking paper and carefully roll it out to about 0.3cm/ 1/8in thickness.
- Using a 12cm/6in cookie cutter or bowl, cut 6 to 8 circles into the dough.
- Put about 1½ tsp filling in the centre of each disk (you will have more filling than you need). Dampen the edges of each circle with a little water and close them in half-moon-shaped parcels.
- Seal each parcel by pressing a fork lightly around the outer edge.
- Line the empanadas on a baking paper-lined baking sheet.
- Beat the egg yolk and milk and brush over the empanadas.
- Bake for about 30-minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Find more recipes on my blog http://alalemon.com