- Makes 6-8
- For the empanada dough
all-purpose flour (1¼ cup)
corn flour/corn starch (1½ tbsp)
soft butter (1 stick minus 1 tbsp)
icing/confectioner’s sugar (1/3 cup)
ground hazelnuts (1/3 cup)
- For the frangipane
Nutella (½ cup)
butter (½ stick)
ground hazelnuts (1¼ cup)
In This Recipe
- Prepare the empanada dough: in a bowl, sift the flour and corn flour. In a separate bowl, sift the sugar and hazelnuts. Using your hands or in a food processor, rub the flour and butter together until you get a sand-like texture. Combine with the sugar and hazelnuts. Once incorporated, crack the egg and mix until the dough comes together. Tip the dough onto a piece of Clingfilm, shape into a flat disk, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the frangipane filling: in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and Nutella together, stirring often so the Nutella doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. In a bowl, beat the eggs, then fold in the ground hazelnuts. Add to the Nutella mixture, stir well to combine and set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and allow it to soften for a few minutes.
- Put the dough between two pieces of baking paper and carefully roll it out to about 0.3cm/ 1/8in thickness.
- Using a 12cm/6in cookie cutter or bowl, cut 6 to 8 circles into the dough.
- Put about 1½ tsp filling in the centre of each disk (you will have more filling than you need). Dampen the edges of each circle with a little water and close them in half-moon-shaped parcels.
- Seal each parcel by pressing a fork lightly around the outer edge.
- Line the empanadas on a baking paper-lined baking sheet.
- Beat the egg yolk and milk and brush over the empanadas.
- Bake for about 30-minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Find more recipes on my blog http://alalemon.com