If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup brings back childhood memories of bean with bacon soup on a cold winter's day. Hearty and filling, this soup is packed with flavor your family will love. —ChefAbilities
- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (substitute 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 8 strips hickory smoked bacon
- 2 carrots peeled, 1/4 inch dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, 1/4 inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons hickory Liquid Smoke
- 3 large kale leaves, stripped off stalks, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic croutons
- Cook lima beans in the water with bay leaves, thyme and oregano until almost tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Fry the bacon and drain on paper towels, coarsely chop. Reserve half of the bacon drippings in the pan and saute carrots and onion until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook until tender, being careful not to burn.
- Add the sauteed vegetables, along with the drippings, chicken broth, 3/4 of the chopped bacon and Liquid Smoke to the lima beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer on low until beans are cooked through and soup is thick. Remove bay leaves. Add chopped kale and cook until tender.
- Serve with garlic croutons and remaining chopped bacon as garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans