If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you have any lack , you will in your lifetime tray Ogulinsko kiselo zelje (Ogulin's sauerkraut).
It is the best, not just because I was born in Ogulin.
- 4-5 pounds sauerkraut
- 1 medium onions or 1 large, dice
- 4 ounces cured smoked bacon (špek)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- black pepper
- Cut the bacon into small cubes, fry it briefly on 2 tbs of oil, then add the chopped onion and fry until the onion turns golden brown .
- Add shredded sauerkraut.
- Add black pepper
- Pour the water to cover sauerkraut, cover and lower heat to simmer .
- Cooking time depends on the sauerkraut, and the size to which you cut sauerkraut ( if you used the whole head) . It will take 45 min or more.
- Check for seasoning, do not put any salt, taste the sauerkraut first, usually is salty or if it is to sour for your taste you can rinse under cold water before you cook.
- Serve with boil potatoes or polenta .
- Usually is serve with sausage (black pudding), ham hocks, cured smoked pork ribs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
More Great Recipes: Entrees