If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this soup back when my children were young, I was working too many hours, and they wanted to go Trick-or-Treating on a weeknight. They were delighted with the spooky colors; I was happy with how quickly it came together. And it's always fun to customize your dinner! If you use vegetable broth, this soup is appropriate for vegetarians. —Windischgirl
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cups Black beans, cooked, with their liquid; equal to 2 cans of 15 oz. each
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin, ground
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, orange and sharp!, shredded
- 1/2 cup Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the carrots and celery, and sauté until tender.
- Add the beans and their liquid, then stir in the broth. Add the cayenne, cumin, salt, and pepper. Heat gently till simmering.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Let each diner top their spooky serving with a spoonful of salsa, festive orange cheese, and a ghost of sour cream. Serve with crusty bread or tortilla chips. Follow with candy for dessert!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans