If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Franks and beans were a monthly staple in my household when I was growing up. Mom always used canned pork and beans as a base, but she always fried the hot dogs before cutting them up and adding them in to the pot which made everything even more yummy. It was served up in bowls with slices of white bread and butter on the side. Oh how I loved that meal. Well my palate has changed very much since then so I came up with this recipe one day when feeling very nostalgic ! Here I make my own version of pork and beans and swap out the hot dogs for Italian sausage. The one thing that has not changed is that I still serve this meal along with the slices of white bread and butter. Not everything has to change, right? —Nancy
tablespoons olive oil
pounds mild or spicy Italian sausage
pound diced salt pork, rind removed
cup diced onions
cup diced green bell pepper
cloves minced garlic
tablespoon brown sugar
15 oz. can tomato sauce
14 oz. cans small pink or white beans rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add sausage and brown it on all sides about 8 - 10 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the salt pork to the pot and saute it until it has rendered down about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add the onion and green peppers and sprinkle light with salt. Saute until the onions are translucent 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ketchup and brown sugar to the pot and stir until the sugar is melted.
- Pour in the tomato sauce. Fill the can with water and add it to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Slice the sausage into 1/2 inch circles and add to the pot along with the beans. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 15 - 20 mins. Taste and add salt and pepper to you liking.
More Great Recipes: