If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an authentically Mexican, bean tostada, that carefully allows each ingredient to play a role to bring out amazing flavor. —Adriana Guillen
Makes 4 tostadas
Ingredients for refried beans
- 1 cup Mayocoba beans (or white bean of choice)
- 1/2 Jalapeño, cut longways
- 1/8th White Onion, roughly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons Corn Oil
- Sea Salt to taste
- - Heat the corn oil in a pan under medium heat.
- - Add the jalapeño and the onion into the oil and fry for about 2 minutes.
- - Remove oil from heat and allow to cool down for about 1 minute.
- - Introduce the beans into the oil, with about 1/3 cup of cooking liquid. Cook under low heat for about 10 minutes.
- - Add the cumin, black pepper, and salt to taste.
- - Mash the beans to a desired consistency. I like to keep them a little chunky
- 1 cup Mayocoba Beans, that we just made
- 1 Avocado
- 4 tablespoons Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Red Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Vine Ripe Tomato, sliced
- 1 Lime
- 3 tablespoons Lime Mayo
- 4 Tostada Shells (thin ones work best)
- - While your beans are cooking combine the sliced onions and tomatoes in a small bowl. Add the juice of the lime and a sprinkle of sea salt. Put aside.
- - Take a tostada shell and add a thin layer of lime mayo.
- - Add a spoonful of refried beans and spread all over the tostada.
- - Now add slices of avocado and sprinkle a bit of sea salt on each slice.
- - Layer slices of tomato and onions.
- - Lastly, sprinkle the crumbled Queso Fresco.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans