If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom makes these for my kids as an afternoon snack. It's a nice alternative to sweets. Be brave with the mayonnaise -- you need a lot. Go easy on the paprika. Or just skip it. The most exciting part of these toasts is biting through the hot melted cheese and BAM there's this comforting and warm layer of mayonnaise. It's very much like melted butter. But better. —Phyllis Grant
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 baguette
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (or more!)
- 12 ounces creamy havarti (or your favorite meltable cheese), thinly sliced
- Paprika, to taste
- Turn your broiler on.
- Cut the baguette in thirds, then cut each third in half. Place each half cut side-up on a sheet pan. Broil (but not too close to the flame) until the bread is crispy and lightly browned.
- Spread each piece of bread with as much mayonnaise as you dare. Cover mayonnaise with slices of cheese. Sprinkle cheese with a very thin layer of paprika. Broil until cheese is melted and browning. Don't panic. The paprika gets almost black under the broiler. That's okay. Eat a piece as soon as you can pick it up.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!