If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my take on Banoffee Pie, topped with a coconut whipped cream. I make my own Dulce de Leche by boiling an unopened can of condensed milk in a pressure cooker halfway filled with water for 40 minutes. Dulce de Leche can also be purchased ready-made in jars at your local specialty food store. —goodfoodvibes
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, frozen and cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 can of dulce de leche
- 3 bananas, sliced thinly
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 can of coconut milk, refrigerated
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- For the tart dough: Put the flour, confectioners' sugar and salt in a large bowl. Scatter the cubes of butter over the dry ingredients and cut in with a pastry cutter until it forms pea-size pieces. Add the egg and stir until the dough forms into clumps. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Very lightly knead the dough just to incorporate any dry ingredients. Press the dough into a tart pan, chill in freezer for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Fit a piece of aluminum foil tightly against the crust. Bake the crust 25 minutes, then carefully remove the foil. If the crust has puffed, press it down gently with the back of a spoon. Bake until golden brown, about 10 more minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack until crust is at room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- For the coconut whipped cream: Open the can of coconut milk and scrape off the top layer of solidified coconut cream. Place in a bowl with the heavy cream. Slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the vanilla seeds from inside the pod. Add to the heavy cream mixture. Whip the mixture until stiff peaks form. You can fold in a few more tablespoons of coconut milk to taste if necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the filling: Spread a thin layer of caramel on the bottom of the cooled crust. Layer banana slices on top of the caramel, and spread another thin layer of caramel. Top with coconut whipped cream and serve immediately.