If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe appeared in the November 2014 issue of Men's Health, and the article was called, "The Great Chili Project". Elizabeth Karmel is the executive chef of Hill Country Barbecue in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and D.C. and the author of Soaked, Slathered, and Seasoned. "The spice mix is the cornerstone of any good chili recipe," says Karmel. "Make sure it's balanced with sweet, savory, spicy, and bitter." This is her go-to mix, just go light on the powdered spicy peppers, which can quickly overwhelm subtler favorings.
Makes 2/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Ancho Chile
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Spanish Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Onion
- 1 tablespoon White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Chile Pepper
- Mix the spices in a medium bowl and store in a Mason jar. This will keep for 6 months. It also works well as a rub for meat.
More Great Recipes: