If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted slightly from Gourmet Magazine —Hillary Pollak
Serves 6 to 8
- 3/4 cup sugar
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 3/4 cups whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- 4 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 4 teaspoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, cook the sugar over medium heat, without stirring, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar turns a deep golden color. Immediately pour into a 9-inch round ceramic or glass baking dish or a metal cake pan that's at least 2 inches deep. Tilt the dish to coat bottom (use caution, the dish will be hot). Cool until hardened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Blend the remaining ingredients in a blender, until smooth. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve over caramel in dish, then transfer dish to a large roasting pan and place it in the oven. Pour enough boiling-hot water into roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of custard dish. Bake until custard is set but still wobbly in center when gently shaken and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Transfer dish to a rack to cool completely, about 40 minutes. Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 8 hours.
- To unmold flan, run a thin knife around edge of dish to loosen the custard. Invert a large platter with a lip over the baking dish. Holding dish and platter securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto platter. Caramel will pour out over and around flan.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!