If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother would prepare duck this way but I opted for the leaner chicken version. The onion and apple that gets stuffed in the cavity flavors, not only the meat, but also the gravy that you make from the pan drippings. Winter vegetables can be roasted along side the chicken in a separate dish to complete the meal. —mynatalie
- 1 whole chicken appr. 4-5 lbs
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 small apple, cored and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Combine salt, marjoram, and caraway seeds in a small bowl.
- Rub chicken with spice mixture inside and out and stuff cavity with apple and onion.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan breast up and poke several holes in skin.
- Place chicken in oven and roast for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue to roast chicken another 40-55 minutes or until done (depending on size of chicken).
- Remove chicken from oven and transfer to a platter letting juices from chicken cavity drip back into roasting pan. Pull onion and apple out of cavity and place in roasting pan along with pan drippings.
- Heat pan drippings in roasting pan on stove burner set to medium high heat. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth (along with any juices on chicken platter) and scrape up browned bits on bottom of roasting pan. With the back of a spoon press on apple and onion pieces to mash slightly.
- Continue to heat until juices are reduced by half. Transfer all contents of roasting pan to a fine mesh sieve and press on solids reserving juices. Put reserved juices in a small sauce pan and return to heat. Once juices are bubbling remove from heat and whisk in butter one tablespoon at a time. Season to taste with pepper if desired.
- Carve chicken and serve with roasted winter vegetables drizzling chicken with gravy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roast Chicken