If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A delicate white cake with a soft and springy texture, a golden crust, and the aroma of almond accompanied by sweet raspberry whipped cream. —TammyRenea
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided in half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups 1 1/2 cups cold egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
FOR THE RASPBERRY WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º and have on hand a 9” or 10” inch ungreased tube pan.
- Sift cake flour, 3/4 cup sugar and salt together 3 times.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites, water, orange or lemon juice, cream of tartar, vanilla and almond extract on low speed for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until a soft, slightly translucent foam is produced, about 1 ½ to 3 minutes. Gradually beat in the rest of the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. After all the sugar is added continue to beat the mixture on medium speed until the mixture is glossy and can hold soft peaks; it is important not to beat until stiff.
- Transfer mixture to a 4 to 6 quart mixing bowl, and sift 1/7 of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Fold in the flour mixture until mostly incorporated and repeat 6 more times. The final time gently mix until no trace of flour remains.
- Pour the batter into the tube pan leveling out the top with a spatula. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool upside down for 1 ½ hours.
- When ready slice a knife around the sides and unmold the cake.
- TO MAKE THE RASPBERRY WHIPPED CREAM
- Place raspberries in the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Pass through a fine strainer and discard seeds.
- Combine cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl; whisk together until soft peaks form. Gently fold in raspberry puree until mostly incorporated.