If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Prep time: 60 minutes
Total time: 3 hours
This two-layered cake is light and refreshing. It features honey in 2 ways- in the cake batter and in the tangy orange and lemon custard topping. A sweet treat sure to impress your family and friends- with no grains or refined sugar in sight! —Lauren McGill
Citrus Carrot Almond Cake with Honey
- 1 cup carrot puree* (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 cups finely ground whole almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium lemon, zest and juice separated
- 1 medium navel orange, zest and juice separated
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup grated carrots
- *To make carrot puree: Peel and chop 2 to 3 large carrots. In a small saucepan, cover the carrots with water and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer until carrots are very soft. Mash vigorously until smooth, or whir in food processor. Carrot puree should be smooth with no lumps.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two round 9” cake pans with coconut oil. Using cake pan as template, trace and cut out two circles of parchment paper to line the bottom of each pan. Place parchment paper in bottom of each pan.
- In a large bowl, combine ground almonds, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and orange zest. Use your fingers to mix so there are no almond clumps and the lemon and orange zest is thoroughly mixed in.
- Add honey, yogurt, egg yolks, carrot puree, lemon juice and orange juice to ground almond mixture, stirring to combine thoroughly.
- Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add whipped egg whites to batter and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter equally between two greased cake pans. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until very golden.
- Allow to cool completely. Loosen the cake layers by running knife around edges. Try to get your knife under the parchment paper if possible, before flipping cakes layers onto wire racks.
- Meanwhile, prepare Tangy Orange Lemon Custard Topping. Recipe below.
- To Assemble Cake: Make sure all the elements are completely cool before assembling. Place first layer on cake stand. Spoon 1 cup of Tangy Orange and Lemon Custard onto first cake layer, spreading evenly. Add second cake layer and spread remaining custard over top. Optional: Sprinkling pecan brittle or candied nuts pieces in centre of cake.
Tangy Orange Lemon Custard Topping
- 1/4 cup salted butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 3 medium navel oranges)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Fill bottom pot of a double boiler with 2” water and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and honey until mixed with no lumps. Add eggs, orange juice, lemon juice, orange zest and lemon zest and whisk thoroughly. Pour mixture into the top pot of double boiler and lace over bottom pot of boiling water.
- Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened to consistency of thin yogurt, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Transfer custard to glass jar and refrigerate until completely cooled, about 2 hours. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey