If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Medenjaci are traditional Croatian cookies spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and honey, with or without icing.
Makes 40-50 cookies
- 1/2 cup brown sugar ( I used coconut sugar )
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup icing sugar for glaze if you are using
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and honey together just until they're melted and combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix flour, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add the honey-butter mixture. Then, add the flour mixture
- Using your hands, mix it together until it's combined.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours
- Make the dough into a walnut-size ball and press them lightly on baking sheet. (I roll out some dough 4-5 mm tick and use cookie cater
- Bake the medenjaci for about 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- For the icing, place the icing sugar and 2 tbsp ( one by one ) water into a mixing bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Cool cookies before using the icing.
- Dip the top of each cookie into the icing or make any pattern you like.
- Make sure you let icing dry before storing cookies in airtight container .
- You can eat them right away but they are best after 4-5 days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie from Anywhere in the World
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
More Great Recipes: