Author Notes: This is a soda bread with dried cranberries and caraway seeds. Makes delicious toast with butter. Also, a lovely St. Patrick's day gift. —purduetina
Makes: 3 loaves
cups bread flour
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
tablespoons UNSALTED melted butter, plus more melted butter for pans and tops of loaves
cup dried cranberries
tablespoons caraway seeds
In This Recipe
- Heat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with greased (with melted butter) parchment paper. In bowl of stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cranberries and caraway seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, room temperature (not cold!) buttermilk and cooled (not hot!) melted butter. Buttermilk can be made by adding two tablespoons vinegar (apple cider vinegar) to a little less than 1 1/2 cups milk (remove about 2 table spoons of milk). Let this sit for a few minutes before using.
- Mix wet mixture into dry ingredients to form a dough. Knead the dough for about 2-3 minutes with dough hook attachment, until dough comes together. Add more flour if too sticky/shiny, but this should not be necessary if using a stand mixer.
- Form the dough into 3 small 4-5" rounds. Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush each round with melted butter. With a sharp knife, score an "X" on each loaf.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Rotate loaves after 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. Serve warm with butter and jam.