If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fricando is a Catalan slow cook beef stew, simmered in white wine and mushrooms sauce and topped with a traditional sauce of the Catalan cuisine: the picada. —Laura | Lau Sunday cooks
- 300 grams wild mushrooms (shiitake, oyster...)
- 500 grams beef (shin or shank), cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup Almond flour
- 1 Onion, grated
- 2 Matures tomatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 Bay leave
- 1 cup White wine
- 1/2 liter Water
- 1/2 cup Chopped almonds
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1 bunch Fresh parley leaves
- 1 bunch Chopped almonds (optional. to sprinkle)
- Soak the mushrooms in a large bowl with warm water for 5 minutes. Then, strain the water off and set aside the mushrooms.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Season the beef strips with salt and pepper and roll them in almond flour until coated on both sides. Fry slightly on both sides (1 minute per side) then remove from the frying pan and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and cook the grated onion over a medium heat for 3 minutes, then add the peeled and grated tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until you get a well combined fried of tomato and onion sauce. Then, add in the beef and let it coat with the sauce for 1 minute.
- Add in the bay leave and the white wine. Let the alcohol to reduce. Pour the water to cover the beef, scatter the mushrooms over the pan and season with salt. Simmer for 1 hour and half.
- While, prepare the picada. In a mortar bowl, grind the almonds, garlic, parsley and two or three tbsp of liquid from the cooking juice.
- Pour the picada over the beef about 10 minutes before it is ready and cook for 5 minutes further. Sprinkle with some chopped almonds and fresh parsley and serve.