Author Notes: This is a family recipe that my mom made as a kid. When I was young, my mom would make it on Friday nights (only Fridays!) and she would recruit us to stir it. Standing still for at least fifteen minutes was a trial but it was always worth it in the end. Now, it is my go-to when I can craving chocolate. It is very easy and the ingredients are always on hand. —ginnygetsfloury
Makes: 8 in x 8 in pan of fudge
cup milk (full fat is best but I have had success with skim)
tablespoons cocoa, heaping
- Combine in the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring consistently, until it boils and reaches a soft ball stage, about 15-20 min (Check by dripping it into a cup of cold water. If makes a soft ball, it is ready).
- Remove from heat and beat until it starts losing its gloss.
- Add the butter and vanilla.
- Keep beating until thickens.
- Pour quickly into 8 in. X 8 in. greased pan. It will set up quickly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer