If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's quick, it's easy, and it's everything I crave after a night of drinking. —Lisako
- 10 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4-8 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- Rinse your kale and remove the large ribs and stems. Tear kale into bite sized pieces, pat dry, and set aside.
- Set a large pot of water to boil. Season water generously with salt.
- Set another, smaller, pot of water to boil. This pot is for poaching your eggs, so be sure to use a pot or pan deep enough to cover the eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss breadcrumbs and kosher salt (a big pinch or two) together. Lay breadcrumb mixture on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- Add the spaghetti to the large pot and cook according to package directions. When finished cooking, drain pasta, reserving about a cup of the starchy cooking water.
- Thinly slice the garlic cloves. Set a large pan over medium-low heat and add the olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the garlic cloves and sautee briefly. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add in the kale, cover the pan, and sautee for about five minutes. Uncover and season with a pinch of salt. Turn off the heat.
- Begin to poach your eggs. I like to serve the dish with 1 to 2 eggs per person. Crack eggs individually into small ramekins. (You can just use one ramekin and poach one egg at a time). When the water begins to boil, lower the heat slightly and reduce to a simmer. Using a wooden spoon, stir a small circle of water until a whirpool is created. Carefully pour the egg into the water. The whirlpool helps keep the egg together. Set aside your eggs on a cutting board or plate.
- Dump the spaghetti into the pan with the kale mixture and stir to coat all of the pasta with the garlic oil. Add in the starchy cooking water, a few tablespoons at a time. Remove pasta and divide into four bowls. Top each bowl with egg(s) and toasted breadcrumbs. Serve with plenty of water and two asprin, and watch your hangover miraculously disappear.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer