If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love any excuse to put together a coffee cocktail. Cold brew is a great place to start when making cocktails at home since the process lends to a nice syrupy body and can elevate the perceived sweetness in a coffee. As coffees change with the seasons, have fun experimenting with different coffees as a cocktail ingredient! —Chase the Flavors
- 3 ounces cold brew coffee
- 1 ounce soda water
- 3/4 ounce tonic, I used Jack Rudy Small Batch Tonic
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- flamed grapefruit peel
- Making cold brew coffee at home doesn't necessitate using a brewer designed for the cause, although having one around does make it more convenient. A few excellent and affordable options include the Toddy, the Hario Mizudashi or the Filtron. In the absence of a cold brewing device, use any glass or plastic container that can hold a few quarts of water. Grind 1/2 a pound of coffee at a medium grind, similar to what would be used for a Chemex. Add the ground coffee to your chosen container and slowly add 6 cups of cold water, pouring in a circular motion as you add it. Once all of the water is integrated, use the back of a wooden spoon or spatula to submerge the grounds. Cover the container loosely with a towel and let sit undisturbed for 12 hours. Remove the towel and filter out the grounds using a paper coffee filter or large sieve lined with a cheesecloth. Refrigerate and enjoy within one week.
- For the cocktail, combine cold brew coffee, soda water, tonic and white rum in a rocks glass over ice.
- Flame the peel of a grapefruit by holding it about 4 inches away from the rim of the cocktail. Hold it with the pith side facing toward you. Light a match between the grapefruit peel and the cocktail then give the peel a gentle squeeze, expressing the peel oils through the flame toward the glass. Place the peel in the drink for garnish and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
More Great Recipes: