Author Notes: These lemon bars are a bit of a go-to for me now.
They have only 5 ingredients (which luckily I always seem to have around!) and take all of 5 minutes to prepare. I tried to give them a catchy ‘5 Ingredient Lemon Slice’ slogan, or ‘Paleo Lemon Bars in just 5 minutes!’ but they have so many things going for them, I couldn’t quite settle on which angle to run with.
These bars are the BEST on hand snack to have in your kitchen. They are a ‘paleo’ friendly treat, meaning they are made using only natural unprocessed ingredients. Vegan friendly, sugar free, gluten free, raw – you name it! These babies are choc full of the good stuff.
I keep mine in the freezer, but they hold together very well, so are a perfect lunchbox addition for the kids.
Plus they taste amazing. Seriously. No one will know they are actually good for you. —Eat This My Friend | Jade O'Donahoo
Makes: 12 bars
cup shredded coconut, plus an extra handful for garnish
cup raw natural almonds
cups medjool dates, pitted
1 - 2
lemons (juice from)
sea salt, for sprinkling
- Place the almonds and shredded coconut into a food processor and pulse until quite finely ground.
- Add the dates, I do mine one at at time, and keep pulsing with each addition. Continue until all the dates are ground and you have a coarse, sticky mixture. Squeeze in the juice from 1 – 2 lemons and stir to combine.
- Add a sprinkling of extra coconut to the top and press this down into the mix with your hands. Sprinkle on a big pinch of large flaked sea salt.
- Place the pan in the freezer and freeze for at least an hour. Remove and cut into bars.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer