Author Notes: This recipe was a happy accident. I had originally intended to make a sorbet. But, due to the unfortunate combination of high sugar and alcohol content, it refused to freeze in my ice cream machine. So I poured the whole thing in a pan and let it freeze, granita style. And, in the end, it's simply delicious! —Stephanie
Makes: about 6 cups
cups watermelon puree (about 1/2 of a standard watermelon)
tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
ounces triple sec (or other orange flavored liquor)
ounces sweet and sour mix
- Note: If desired (for a smoother consistency) strain watermelon purée.
- In a large glass, mix lime juice, tequila, triple sec, and sweet and sour mix. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Add to watermelon and refrigerate 1/2 hour.
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients. Pour mixture into a freezer safe container. Cover with lid or plastic wrap.
- After 2-3 hours, remove from freezer. Using a fork, scrape through entire dish. Repeat process until grantia is completely frozen (or to desired consistency).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer