Author Notes: A vegan, gluten-free version of a classic. Crispy brown rice cereal held together with maple syrup, peanut butter and agar agar flakes
~ Adapted from Heidi Swanson's Supernatural Cooking Cookbook
cup unsalted peanut butter
cup maple syrup
teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
tablespoon agar agar flakes
cups unsweetened (or lightly sweetened) crisp brown rice cereal
cup nuts, toasted (** Optional)
- Line two muffin tins with about 18 muffin/cupcake wrappers, and set aside.
- Combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, salt, and agar flakes in a large saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until smooth, hot, melted, and bubbling just a bit.
- Add the cereal and 3/4 cup of the nuts (if using), and stir until well coated.
- Spoon two or three heaping Tbsp of the mix into each muffin wrapper and press into place with the back of a spoon.
- Alternately, if you want krispy squares, you can transfer it to an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts and refrigerate until completely cool