If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Store-cupboard staples with lots of fresh oranges and a few chunks of chocolate for good measure come together to create this gluten-free, super moist (sorry!) loaf with a dark crust and drowned in lashings of sugary orange syrup. —Hannah
Makes 1 loaf
For the cake
- 4 eggs
- 170 milliliters olive oil
- 170 grams caster sugar
- 2 zested oranges
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 140 grams fine polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams dark chocolate
For the syrup
- 150 milliliters freshly squeezed orange juice
- 55 grams caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Grease and line a loaf tin
- Beat together the egg yolks, oil, 150g caster sugar and orange zest until smooth
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Fold the dry ingredients into oil and sugar mixture
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, then beat in the remaining 20g caster sugar
- Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture a few tablespoons at a time. Don't worry if this seems tricky at first, the mixture will loosen up as you go
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
- While it's baking make the syrup: heat the fruit juice with the caster sugar until the sugar dissolves, then let it boil for 1 minute, before leaving it to cool
- Pierce the cake with the toothpick
- When the cake is cool, pour over the syrup and leave to seep through the cake before cutting in!