Author Notes: I adapt cake recipes from Windischgirl and hers Mrs. Shunke's Apple Kuchen
Makes: 9-inch cake
large eggs room temperature
cup granulated sugar
cup All-purpose flour
cup butter, melted and cooled
small blood oranges
cup orange jam, melted and strained
- Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment.
- With a sharp knife, slice ends off oranges, following the curve of the fruit, cut away peel and white pith, slice oranges crosswise into rounds and remove any seeds and set aside.
- Melt 3 tbs butter and pour over bottom of prepared pan, sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar, arrange sliced oranges over the sugar in a pan and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and 3/4 cup sugar for 6 minutes, add in the flour and melted butter.
- Pour batter over oranges, make sure not to disturb the fruit, smooth the batter.
- Place cake in oven on the middle rack. Bake on 350F for about 40 minutes.
- Test the cake with a toothpick, making sure it is cooked in the middle.
- Let it cake cool for about 30-40 minutes.
- With the knife loosen edges along the pan.
- Put a large platter face down over cake pan and flip.
- Brush cake with melted orange jam (1 cup orange jam, 2 tbs water).