If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple yellow cake recipe to celebrate the simplicity of spring. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with crushed berries atop. The cake is a very light flavour, but my favourite quality is the texture. This recipe results in a light middle with a crisp crust.
*I did not have self-rising flour, so I added 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt to the flour which brought the cake up very nicely.
Adapted from 'A Daily Something's' Hedgehog cake. Read more at ZacharyThor.com. —Zachary Thor
Makes 1 9" cake
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 350º fahrenheit.
- Butter, or spray with cooking spray, a 9-inch cake pan.
- Using a hand-mixer or stand-mixer, combine slight-softened butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, one by one, mixing in-between.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in flour or flour mixture.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 35 minutes until golden, checking at 30 minutes with a toothpick. As the batter is rather thick the centre will cook very slowly. Do not be afraid to bake more than you think is necessary.
- Using a sieve, dust cake with icing sugar.