Author Notes: A simple yellow cake recipe to celebrate the simplicity of spring. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with crushed berries atop. The cake is a very light flavour, but my favourite quality is the texture. This recipe results in a light middle with a crisp crust.
*I did not have self-rising flour, so I added 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt to the flour which brought the cake up very nicely.
Adapted from 'A Daily Something's' Hedgehog cake. Read more at ZacharyThor.com. —Deactivated
Makes: 1 9" cake
cups self-rising flour*
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 350º fahrenheit.
- Butter, or spray with cooking spray, a 9-inch cake pan.
- Using a hand-mixer or stand-mixer, combine slight-softened butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, one by one, mixing in-between.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in flour or flour mixture.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 35 minutes until golden, checking at 30 minutes with a toothpick. As the batter is rather thick the centre will cook very slowly. Do not be afraid to bake more than you think is necessary.
- Using a sieve, dust cake with icing sugar.