If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A deep and dark richly flavored chocolate buckwheat cake to end the winter off right. Undertones of rosemary blend with earthy rosemary and sweet chocolate perfectly.
Gluten free and refined sugar free!
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 cup Raw cacao powder, or good quality cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Rosemary, chopped fine
- Zest of an organic orange
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 cup Melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups Dates, soaked overnight
- 4 Free range, organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 can of Full fat coconut milk for the coconut whip (chilled overnight)
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup, honey or agave
- Orange slices and rosemary sprigs to decorate
- Preheat 350F and grease a springform cake pan.
- Add dry ingredients (including the rosemary and orange zest) to a large mixing bowl and stir well, breaking up any clumps. Add the wet ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir well. Pour into a greased spring form cake pan (I use coconut oil to grease my pans), place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes (poke a fork into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, your cake is done). Let cool before spreading the coconut whip on top.
- For the coconut whip: Open the chilled can of coconut milk. Pour the liquid into a bowl (you can add this to the cake or use it later). Scoop out the thick cream and place in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the sweetener of your choice and beat until smooth. There should be no lumps. Keep chilled until you are going to use it to decorate the cake.