Author Notes: The ultimate marble cake —SweetSourSavory
Makes: 1 loaf
teaspoon vanilla paste or the seed from 1 vanilla bean pod
grams all-purpose flour
teaspoons baking powder
tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
tablespoon cold espresso or another strong coffee
In This Recipe
- Preheat the oven for 355℉ (180℃).
- Butter a 4¾x9” (12x23 cm) pan. Line the bottom with some parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars until very light and fluffy, mix in the vanilla paste. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix just until fully incorporated.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Fold in alternately dry ingredients and milk.
- Pour ⅔ of the batter into the prepared pan. Mix in cocoa and coffee in the last third of the batter, and pour it on top of the white in the pan. Using a knife “cut” in a zig-zag and up’n down motion down the pan to create a marbled effect.
- Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool.