If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: At our kitchen three of our biggest rules are: Lots of flavor, little effort, less mess. There is something so heartfelt, warm and delicious about a bowl of dark aromatic chicken soup. It can stand alone with a grilled cheese sandwich or act as a base for something more fantastical. With that in mind, this recipe gives a big bang for the buck. —Have to cook!
Makes 1 - 2 quarts.
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1 carrot scraped, washed, halved.
- 3 celery stalk. Cut to fit in pot.
- 2 medium onions quartered
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Enough water to cover the chicken and vegetables plus 2 inches.
- Preheat oven to 450F
- In oven safe pot (big enough for the whole recipe) place chicken carcass, onion, celery and carrot. Toss them all to coat veggies with the chicken fat. Into oven uncovered. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes or until all are lightly browned and veggies are wilted.
- Remove pot from oven and onto stove burner. Turn heat to high and add remaining ingredients. Cover pot to help bring broth to boil. When boiling starts, turn down heat to lowest setting so that broth barely bubbles. Continue cooking at this temp for 2 hours.
- Pour broth through sieve and into container. When cooled a bit move container to fridge and leave overnight. Fat will collect on top. The next day remove fat, reheat broth, adjust for salt.
- Now is the time to think about eating. What shall it be? Cup of broth with grilled cheese, Fresh dill and sauteed mushrooms with a cup of cooked barley, maybe create a jambalaya.