Chili Dog Chili is a thick, hearty chili bursting with flavor. Great for serving at a party or potluck, and freezer-friendly, too! Made with uncured hot dogs. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
grass-fed ground beef
yellow onion, diced
diced red peppers
hot Mexican chili powder
pink Himalayan salt
canned chopped tomatoes
canned tomato paste
cannd kidney beans
canned pinto beans
canned diced green chilies
apple cider vinegar
organic hot dog rolls
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded monterey jack cheese
In This Recipe
1. In a large pot, over medium-high heat, cook your onions and ground beef until the onions are soft and the beef is cooked through and beginning to brown.
2. Add chili powder, hot Mexican chili powder, cumin, garlic and salt to the pot and sauté for 1 minute, cooking until you begin to smell the aroma of the spices.
3. Add 1 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes and 2 6 oz cans of tomato paste to the pot and stir to combine. Be sure not to drain the chopped tomatoes.
4. Then, stir in your canned beans, canned diced green chilies, and diced red pepper. For the beans, drain, but do not rinse. Rinsing will remove much of the starch, which will act as a natural thickener.
5. Bring the chili to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium-low and gently simmer for two hours. While your chili is simmering, shred 3/4 C each of cheddar and monterey jack cheese and mix to combine. Store the cheese in the refrigerator until you are ready to use. 15 minutes prior to serving, grill 12 hotdogs.
6. Once the chili is done simmering, stir in 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar and then you’re ready to serve.
7. For chili dogs, place grilled hotdogs into a bun, top with chili, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
If you’re throwing a party, place your chili in a crockpot on the “warm” setting, so that all your guests can enjoy piping hot chili.