If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chili Dog Chili is a thick, hearty chili bursting with flavor. Great for serving at a party or potluck, and freezer-friendly, too! Made with uncured hot dogs. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 3 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced red peppers
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons hot Mexican chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pink Himalayan salt
- 28 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
- 12 ounces canned tomato paste
- 30 ounces cannd kidney beans
- 30 ounces canned pinto beans
- 8 ounces canned diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 12 organic hot dog rolls
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1. In a large pot, over medium-high heat, cook your onions and ground beef until the onions are soft and the beef is cooked through and beginning to brown.
- 2. Add chili powder, hot Mexican chili powder, cumin, garlic and salt to the pot and sauté for 1 minute, cooking until you begin to smell the aroma of the spices.
- 3. Add 1 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes and 2 6 oz cans of tomato paste to the pot and stir to combine. Be sure not to drain the chopped tomatoes.
- 4. Then, stir in your canned beans, canned diced green chilies, and diced red pepper. For the beans, drain, but do not rinse. Rinsing will remove much of the starch, which will act as a natural thickener.
- 5. Bring the chili to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium-low and gently simmer for two hours. While your chili is simmering, shred 3/4 C each of cheddar and monterey jack cheese and mix to combine. Store the cheese in the refrigerator until you are ready to use. 15 minutes prior to serving, grill 12 hotdogs.
- 6. Once the chili is done simmering, stir in 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar and then you’re ready to serve.
- 7. For chili dogs, place grilled hotdogs into a bun, top with chili, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. If you’re throwing a party, place your chili in a crockpot on the “warm” setting, so that all your guests can enjoy piping hot chili.