Author Notes: this is a recipe from coastal bengal. This is easy to cook and liked by all. —twameka.r
pieces whole pomfret fish
teaspoon mustard seeds
teaspoons turmeric powder
tablespoon garlic paste
cup tamarind broth
teaspoons green chilli paste
tablespoon red chilli powder
salt to taste
- Wash and clean the fish and marinate with salt , turmeric and chilly powder for 2 minutes
- Heat a pan in medium flame and pour 2 tablespoons of mustard oil and shallow fry the fish.
- in a separate frying pan, pour 2 tablespoons of oil and fry mustard seeds, dry chilly and garlic paste for seasoning in medium flame.
- When they turn brown,add chilly paste,poppy seed paste and salt and stir for 2 mins .
- add the fried fish and pour the tamarind broth.
- Close the lid of the frying pan and cook in low flame for 5 mins.
- the dish is ready. garish with green chilies and onion and serve hot with plain rice.
- NOTE:1) Tamarind broth: Heat water in a pan and add tamarind, sugar and salt to taste 2)poppy seeds paste: while putting the poppy seeds in mixer grinder add salt to taste.