Author Notes: This ham is moist with a mildly sweet flavor throughout. —kikukat
half ham (butt or shank)
In This Recipe
- Using a carving fork, pierce ham deeply all over and score layer of fat.
- Place ham in pot and add enough water to cover half of ham. Be sure to keep track of volume of water added.
- Add granulated sugar (half the amount of water). For example, if you added 10 cups of water, add 5 cups of sugar.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Baste and/or flip ham as often as possible.
- Remove ham and place in a broiling pan.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees and remove ham after 25 minutes.
- Let rest 20 minutes before carving.