If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad can be served hot or in my case cold, and it works great as the centerpiece of a vegetarian feast to accompany any grilled fish or meat at summer potlucks or cookouts. There are two ways to go with this dish. You can either go canned or fresh with the chickpeas. —Kathy Gori
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated either fresh or dried unsweetened coconut
- 1 finely chopped serrano chili
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2 fresh mango
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas, set them aside in a bowl
- In a large skillet heat 2 tsp of vegetable oil When the oil is hot toss in: 1 tsp of mustard seed,1 tsp of urad dal,
- When the mustard seeds start to pop and the dal turns color add in:1 dried red chili pepper, 1 tsp of chopped curry leaves.Stir it all together and cook it for about a minute or so.
- Add in the chickpeas and saute them for a couple of minutes. Now take the pan off the heat and add in: 2 Tbs of fresh grated coconut, 1 finely chopped green chili Stir everything around again and add in the zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Add in: 1/2 of a mango cut into strips.Mix all these ingredients together and sprinkle 1 Tbs of chopped fresh cilantro over the salad, and boom, you're done!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad