If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A sweet tortilla, you ask? Yes, and it’s delicious and healthy! This is a sweet version of the classic Spanish tortilla. —Debra Dorn | Azahar Cuisine
Makes 1 8-inch tortilla
- 5 pieces eggs
- 2 pieces egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form
- 1 cup apples, heaping cup, diced
- 2 pieces bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 pieces fried bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- coconut oil
- orange zest
- lemon zest
- Cook the back rashers or bacon and set aside. When they are cool enough to handle, dice with a pair of scissors or crumble, if using bacon.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and set aside.
- In a large, beat the eggs and set aside. (I beat mine with the electric mixer to make them fluffier, but by hand is fine too).
- In an 8-inch frying pan over low heat, add a few teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Add the apple pieces, the cinnamon and nutmeg, and sauté about 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add a bit more coconut oil, and sauté the banana slices, just until they are starting to become golden and caramelise, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add the prepared apples, prepared bananas, back rasher bits, desiccated coconut, and coconut flour to the whole egg mixture. With a few swirls of the spatula, blend well.
- Fold in the egg whites and mix until well blended.
- In the same frying pan as before, add about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and heat over low heat.
- Add the tortilla/frittata mixture and spread out across the pan, by swirling the pan or spreading with a spatula.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then with the help of a flat plate or flat cover, cover the pan and flip the tortilla over and slide (uncooked side down) back into the frying pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on this side. Flip again, if necessary to ensure it’s fully cooked.
- Slide onto a serving plate and garnish with some lemon and orange zest, if desired. Serve warm or cold.