If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A carniverous version of one of my favorite vegan recipes - sweet pumpkin meets roasted chicken and Napa cabbage and the whole thing is bathed in a gingery miso-tahini sauce. The sauce is slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen. —chezjewels
- 14 ounces canned pumpkin
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 pound Napa cabbage, cut into quarters
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Black sesame seeds, toasted
Miso Tahini Sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Make the sauce: put all ingredients into a blender and mix until well emulsified. Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 400. Toss the chopped cabbage and red pepper with 1 tablespoon canola oil and put in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and roast for about 20 minutes. Add the chicken pieces for the last 5 minutes and heat until warmed through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the waffles. Beat the egg yolks with the pumpkin, coconut milk, and melted butter until smooth. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and five-spice. In a third bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture just until smooth. Fold in the beaten egg whites just until blended.
- Heat your waffle iron and bake according to manufacturer's instructions, browning and crisping them on both sides.
- To serve , put the waffles on plates. Mix the chicken and veg with the tahini sauce and mound on top of the waffles. Garnish with the sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds.