Chicken Tikka Salad with Cucumbers and Tomatoes
May 3, 2015
- Serves 6
This recipe is essentially a grilled chicken salad recipe done with traditional Indian salad ingredients like cucumbers, tomatoes, lime and cilantro. I add in french lentils as well, if you are in a rush you can add in canned black beans instead. I usually make the Chicken Tikka ahead of time or marinate it earlier, but essentially with a little planning you will have a wholesome and healthy meal on your hands. If you want to make this vegetarian, just increase the lentils to a whole cup and leave out the chicken. You can add any other crunch vegetable such as thinly sliced radishes, bell peppers and carrots to the mix, the possibilities are endless. —Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
What You'll Need
- For the chicken tikka
tandoori masala (any commercial brand is fine)
red cayenne pepper
boneless skinless chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces
- For the salad
medium sized seedless English cucumber
medium sized tomatoes or 1 cup of grape tomatoes
medium sized red onion
chopped cilantro leaves
freshly ground pink salt (Himalayan)
Extra Virgin olive oil
Sliced Jallapenos (optional)
- Mix together the yogurt, tandoori masala, salt and red cayenne pepper with the chicken and marinate at room temperature for at least an hour.
- In the meantime place the lentils in a pot with some water and cook for about 30 minutes until tender, drain and set aside.
- Peel and slice the cucumber, the cucumbers should not be very thin. Cut the tomatoes into chunks of halve the grape tomatoes if that is what you are using.
- Thinly slice the onions
- Place the lentils, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and cilantro in a mixing bowl and mix lightly.
- Prepare a grill pan and add the chicken with the marinade and cook for about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and slightly crisped and charred at edges.
- While the chicken is cooling, cut the limes or lemons and squeeze the juice in a small mixing bowl, removing any seeds as appropriate. Add in the salt and the olive oil and mix well.
- Add the chicken to the rest of the mixed salad. Add in the dressing and mix well with a gentle hand.
- Serve garnished with the jalapenos if using.
See what other Food52ers are saying.