Author Notes: This is a very hearty dish, good for a crowd. I suggest serving it with a side of fruit or salad. The ingredients could be changed (different bread or cheese). I suggest using the Field Roast apple/sage vegetarian sausage though, it is extremely tasty. I created this to bring to my office for breakfast, and it was well received. —SueD
cups roughly chopped sweet onion
cups sliced apple
cups cubed bread - kosher onion rolls
cups whole milk
cups shredded Amish Bermuda Onion cheese
tablespoon good grainy mustard
teaspoons fresh thyme
teaspoons freshly ground pepper (or grains of paradise)
teaspoons truffle salt
tablespoons truffle oil - white or black
teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
- Toast the bread cubes in 200 deg. oven 20 min. or so, until golden. Remove & cool
- In a large hot skillet, add the oil & onions. Cover & sauté until almost starting to caramelize, then add sliced apples. Stir & cover. Stir several times. When wilted, add thyme, ¾ tsp. pepper & ½ tsp. salt. Cover & continue cooking until onions very soft and some liquid is in pan.
- Add mustard. Nestle the sausage in the onion/apples. Cover. Cook 5-10 min. Rearrange sausage so mixture sort of covers & cook another 5 min. or so. Sausage will plump up dramatically. Remove sausage & slice, then add back to pan & stir. Cook another few minutes until liquid absorbed.
- Butter a large casserole. Layer ½ of toasted bread, ½ of onion/apple/sausage mixture, ½ of cheese. Add second layer of ½ of toasted bread, ½ of onion/apple/sausage mixture, ½ of cheese.
- Break eggs into bowl & beat with fork or whisk. Add milk & ¾ tsp. pepper & ½ tsp. salt & ½ tsp fresh ground nutmeg and beat several minutes until thick & creamy. Pour over layered stuff in casserole. Cover tightly with plastic wrap & refrigerate at least 6 hrs.
- Remove from fridge to counter for 30 min. Heat oven 350 deg. & place in center of oven. Bake 20-25 min. then turn 90 deg. around and continue baking another 20-25 min. until nicely set. If the top is getting a little too brown, lightly cover with flat sheet of foil the last 10 min or so.
- Let set at least 10-15 min. before serving.