If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Crunchy caramelized honeycomb candy is folded into vanilla ice cream in this creamy sweet treat. —Yossy Arefi
Makes about 2 pints
For the honeycomb candy:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup or golden syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
For the ice cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- To make the honeycomb: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium saucepan that’s at least 3 quarts, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Stir to combine well.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, swirling occasionally (do not stir), until the sugar has melted and the mixture is the color of dark maple syrup, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the baking soda and salt. The mixture will bubble up and foam quite a bit. Immediately pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Let sit at room temperature until cool and set. When cool, break the candy into smaller pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- To make the ice cream base: In a medium saucepan, whisk the cream, milk, and sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Heat the cream mixture over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the cream is just barely simmering. Ladle a bit of the hot cream into the egg yolks and whisk to temper the yolks.
- Add the eggs to the saucepan pan and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Whisk in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl or container and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Chill completely in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Just before churning the ice cream, break up about 3/4 cup of the honeycomb candy into rough crumbs.
- Churn the ice cream in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Just before the ice cream is done churning, add in the honeycomb crumbs. Transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe container, cover, and freeze until very firm.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!