For the bread making averse, this simple artisan bread recipe will change your mind. Slathered with a bit of raw honey and peanut butter and served with hot coffee, this is what's on my plate right now. Adapted from SuGoodSweets.com —Nicole Miller
- Serves 16
or 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
or 1 cup + 2 Tbs whole wheat flour
or 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
or 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs sugar
or 1/4 tsp instant yeat
or 1 1/4 tsp salt
or scant 1 3/4 cups water
chopped, roasted almonds
milk, for brushing
turbinado or sprinkling sugar for dusting
In This Recipe
- In a large bowl combine the flours, cocoa powder, cinnamon, sugar, instant yeast, and salt. Add the water and stir until blended. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
- Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice.
- Flatten slightly and spread almonds across dough surface. From left to right, fold 1/3 of the dough over like a book. Fold over the other side of the dough and pat down into a tall rectangle. From top to bottom, fold 1/3 of the dough down. Fold the remaining bottom 1/3 to meet the top. Using your fingers or the heel of your hand, pinch the seams closed. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise about two hours (possibly more because of the weight of the nuts.
- At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. Put a parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of the pot on the side. You'll transfer your dough to this, then into the pot for an easy move.
- When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Place your dough onto the parchment sheet. Brush the top of the loaf with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Picking up the corners of the parchment, put the parchment and dough into the pot.
- Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.