Author Notes: A friend sent me an email with a Russian article titled “The Truth about Healthy Food”. There wasn’t anything new in the article for me, but on the same page I found “Recipes,” clicked on it and there it was, a picture of a loaf cake that was described so: “She mixed flour with Ice Cream and baked it in the oven. The cake which came out delighted everyone!”
Here is my translation of the recipe and a couple my favorite ingredients, which I think will only improve this recipe.
I made the cake yesterday and it is really simple, easy to prepare and taste’s awesome!
Makes: one loaf cake
• 500 grams (2 cups) of your favorite full fat ice cream (I used Vanilla Bean ice cream
• 190 g (1 1/2 cups) unbleached all- purpose flour (I used 1 cup flour + 1/2 cup Almond flour)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• Zest of 1 orange
• 1/4 cup of each, dark and white chocolate chips (I used 1/2 cup chocolate chips)
• Additional ice cream for serving, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a loaf pan. Place ice cream in a bowl so that it starts melting a little; then gently stir it with a rubber spatula until the ice cream is smooth and keep it chilled in the refrigerator, while preparing the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt until well combined; mix in orange zest and chocolate chips.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the ice cream until just combined. Evenly spread the batter in the prepared pan; give the pan a few bangs on the table to get rid of the bubbles.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes; then invert to a cutting board, cut a slice or more and enjoy!