If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This coffee cake is inspired by the quintessential brunch cocktail, the mimosa. The cake is bursting with orange flavor, thanks to a trifecta of orange zest, orange juice, and orange extract, with just a hint of cinnamon. The champagne flavor is much subtler, but the champagne’s fizziness renders the cake delightfully light and spongy. —CakePants
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or dairy-free margarine
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (light is fine)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (about 1/2 orange)
- 6 tablespoons champagne
Topping and Icing
- 4 tablespoons butter or dairy-free margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons champagne
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
- Prepare the topping: in a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (1/2 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon). Pour in the 4 tablespoons of melted butter/margarine and mix with a fork until all the dry ingredients are coated and small clusters form. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the cake: flour, baking, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between each one. Add the mayonnaise, orange extract, orange zest, and orange juice to the margarine/sugar/eggs mixture and stir until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients. Pour in the champagne and fold gently (by hand) until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared springform pan. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare the icing: mix together the powdered sugar and champagne until smooth. Stir in the orange zest. Drizzle over the cake, once the cake has cooled slightly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe