If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sunday afternoon on the couch sandwich with caramelized onions, gruyere and garlic-mayo on white bread make for french onion soup you can eat with your hands (and then take a nap). Caramelizing onions takes a little time so you might want to do this a day or two before (when you're cooking dinner) and stash them in the fridge for your Sunday lunch. —Laurie
Makes 1 sandwich
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons caramelized onions*
- 2 tablespoons garlic-mayo (2 tablespoons Hellman's with one clove mashed garlic)
- 3 slices good white sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- Preheat a griddle or pan large enough to hold three slices of bread over medium heat. . You may need to fiddle with the heat as you go so these brown evenly and the cheese melts.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread and garlic-mayo on the other.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese on top of the mayo on each slice (face-up).
- Melt a little butter in three spots in the pan and place your slices on top of them so you have three open-faced cheese sandwiches going. Wiggle them around a bit so they won't stick. When they're lightly golden and crisp and the cheese is starting to melt, stack one on top of the other (flipping the top slice so the cheese faces in).
- Spread a bit more butter on the outer corners of the sandwich then flip (to insure even crispy browning). Repeat on the other side. Remove, slice and enjoy. *To caramelize onions, place heavy pan over medium heat along with one tablespoon of butter and 2 onions, sliced thinly. Cook slowly, stirring often for about 40 minutes until onions are very soft and deep brown. Deglaze with a little white wine at the end.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
More Great Recipes: